Friday, May 6, 2011

Truly a Fabulous Farm Friday

Spring is finally here and the rain has finally stopped long enough to get outside and start planting. - except for my garden of course, we will talk more about that later.
There is a lot going on at the farm right now. I think for the sake of time, I will combine everything into one post.

The fields were at last dry enough on Monday to start planting. We have managed to plant some 700 acres of corn so far this week and several hundred acres of soybeans.
But what really makes my mouth water is the first draft of sweet corn was put in the ground yesterday!
My two oldest boys filling the planter with sweet corn.

That's Maggie my son's border collie "hiding and waiting" for the next car that should come down the road.

Show off!

So, I've been dealing with trying to keep my sheep in their fence. (hence the reason we have no garden-what I did have planted, the sheep have eaten) We had existing barbwire fence already and was trying to make it work. It won't work. We have been Rigging it trying to keep sheep in till it rains and we have time to re-fence it with proper fencing.

Still Priscilla insists on getting out. That's me, trying to rig the fence to keep her in. Her black wool is all over the barb wire. 
Its hard to get a shearer to come to your farm for just 4 sheep. After Priscilla made her latest escape I noticed how badly she was rooing. I'd heard and read about other shepherds who rooed their sheep. Hmm...I could try that. So, after lunch I decided to give it a try. My husband was rather skeptical when I told him what I was planning to do and he found his way out to the barn to laugh see if I was having any success. It was working but I was more then thankful when he stepped in to lend me a hand. It was quite a job.

Priscilla after being rooed- I missed a few tuffs of wool on her underside but I have to say she looks better then she did after the shearer got done with her last year. I was really disappointed to see all the white hairs in her pretty black wool. Almost like an old lady going grey, but she is only 2 years old. She was solid black last year. 
One of my darling little helpers.

My other helper and one of Brie's ewe lambs - Sunkiss.

Aren't they cute?



Caleb and Shillelagh

I need a nap!

I've been getting an abudance of eggs lately. Anyone who stops for a visit has been known to be given
a dozen eggs.

Give a little - Get a little!!!
One Friend I gave eggs too, wanted to return the favor and delivered to my door step, just in time for desert this beautiful pavlova. It was every bit as good as it looks.
It has been a very blessed week and truly, truly a fabulous farm Friday.

~Kathy

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog. I love it when Black lambs come along. We had only a few this year. We have Romney and some Sulfolk.
    I am in Canada and it has been cold and wet here. Can't wait to get in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From seeding and planting to harvesting and putting by, it's that time of year! I'm up to my knees in garden and orchard so do understand. We sheared Thursday night and finished around 9:30. I've been sore ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what "rooing" is, but you can be darn sure I'm going to look it up... I LOVE to learn new things on people's blogs!

    ReplyDelete