Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cranberry Almond granola

It was last August when I decided that I was giving up processed foods.  While it has been an easy change for me, its been more difficult on my kids. One of the things they like dislike the most is that I won't purchase store bought cereal anymore. I never did by much of the sweetened cereals but even cheerios and wheaties are now just an occasional purchase.


So, I learned to make granola and it really is easy and tastes so much better then store bought.

This recipe is for Cranberry Almond Granola - I have found that you can take the same recipe and switch out the cranberries for other dried fruit and same with the nuts. I love that it has wheat germ and flax seeds in it for added nutritional value.  I  always double the recipe!

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flax seed
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 c. slivered or sliced almonds
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1/3 brown sugar. ( I think its plenty sweet - especially if adding sweetened dried cranberries you may want to cut this back.)
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Combine oats, wheat germ, flax seeds, cinnamon, almonds in large bowl
3. Combine vegetable oil, brown sugar, honey and water in small saucepan and heat till sugar is melted, remove from heat and stir in almond extract
4. Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until all the oats are evenly coated. Transfer wet granola to a large roaster or 2 large cookie sheets.
5. Cook for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes - after 45 minutes stir in your cranberries and cook with the granola for the last 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving. Store in air tight container.

Yummy on top of yogurt, with milk or just by the handful!!

2 comments:

  1. This does look wonderful. I still buy and eat Cheerios and Raisin Bran but love to make granola as well. Oh and oats...love, love, love cooked and baked oats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with ya on the cereal! We make granola at least once a week too! Thanks for following us at the chick n coop!

    ReplyDelete