Sunday, August 29, 2010

Making Homemade Bread and it nutritional value

Fridays have become bread baking day at our house. I bake for the farmers market in Geneseo Saturday mornings. 2 recipes that have become very popular are both my sister Pat's recipes. She does the market in Minnesota. I believe that she makes wayyyyyy more bread then I do. I usually bake between 20-25loaves. I believe she does 3x that many. I honestly have no idea how she does it. I'm exhausting by the time I'm done..but then again, I do still have children constantly running under foot. I can't count how many times I have to stop what I'm doing to get someone something. And you say "well, you have a 3 year old" - but I'm talking about the teenagers!


These breads are both amazing and so good for you. I hear all the time at the market how guilty people feel about eating bread. There is nothing to feel guilty about. They are both delicious and healthy.

This is Pat's Glory Bread -
1st rise.


Finished Loaves :)

This Bread has toasted wheat germ in it, oats,  fresh apples, carrots, raisins and coconut!
Yes, it is that good.

while I love the Glory bread my favorite by far is her Hallelujah Bread-mostly for its nutritional value

 
7 Grain Hallelujah Bread
has, well, 7 whole grains

Wheat,
Wheat contains mineral salts, catalytic elements, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, chlorine, sulfur, silicon, zinc, manganese, cobalt, copper, iodide, arsenic, vitamins A, B, E, K, D, PP, and ferments. Thus, wheat is the base for nourishment
Oats,
contain phytochemicals (plant chemicals), which are believed to protect the body from chronic diseases, such as cancer-contain very high levels of calcium, potassium and magnesium, coupled with Vitamin B-complex. All these vitamins and minerals are very essential for the nervous system.
Flax
(think omega 3s),
Quinoa,
 (high in protein, iron, potassium and other vitamins and minerals,  It is also a good source of dietary fiber and is easily digested.)
Amaranth
( high in protein (15-18%) and contains respectable amounts of lysine and methionine, two essential amino acids that are not frequently found in grains. It is high in fiber (3x's that found in wheat) and contains calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, and vitamins A and C.
has a mild, sweet, nutty like flavor)
Millet
( recognized nutritionally for being a good source of the minerals magnesium, manganese and phosphorus.)

Bran
particularly rich in dietary fiber and omegas and contains significant quantities of starch, protein, vitamins and dietary minerals.




Women Who Eat Whole Grains Weigh Less
Whole Grains Substantially Lower Type 2 Diabetes Risk
Whole Grains Reduce Risk of Metabolic Syndrome


So, Now you know - Guilt free AND actually good for you AND is actually is delicious!



Hallelujah Bread - 2nd Rise



Finished Loaves 
 Mmmmmmm....


No comments:

Post a Comment